Downtown Buenos Aires

Downtown Buenos Aires

Friday, February 11, 2011

Two Weeks to Go!!

¡Hola!
Since I have officially hit the 2-week mark before I embark on my trip, I thought it was time for another post. Also, I received my homestay information today, so that was super exciting!!
I will be living with Maritina Sánchez Garrone, a 66-year-old actress and singer (perfect, right?!) who lives alone and teaches/performs musicals. Hopefully the house won't be too quiet, but apparently she has nieces and nephews that visit frequently. I'm excited to learn more about her :) I still don't exactly know where she lives, seeing as the street address she gave was "Salguero 2549 12º C" ??? Hmm. I'll let you all know once I figure this riddle out. 
 Lastly, I'll sign off with some new Argentine slang words of the day:

Chupar (v)
1. to suck. Also used to talk about drinking alcohol. Vamos al bar a chupar cervezas. Let’s go to the bar for a beer.

Cana (f)
1. The police/the cops.

Mangos (m)
1. pesos. Me costó 120 mangos! It cost me 120 pesos!

Quilombo (m)
1. a mess, a disaster, chaotic. El tránsito en Buenos Aires es un quilombo.

Trucho/a (adj. or m/f noun)
1. fake/counterfeit items. Compré una remera trucha. I bought a counterfeit t-shirt. Esos son truchos. Those are fake.  

I'll write more soon-- 14 days till takeoff!!
♥ Tay 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!! You didn't tell me the woman was an actress/singer. How perfect! You two can make duets in your free time :) what could be better?!

    ReplyDelete